Get Out of Holiday Activities - December in the Classroom

I was hoping to do a music related post about how I celebrate the holidays in my classroom but as I was looking back through my day plans I realized I did not do that much. Why? Because when you are the Music teacher you are the spreader of Christmas joy. You are responsible for the holiday concert and the caroling. So much of celebrating Christmas is done through music and the responsibility of making it all come together is on you. Once it is all done and I get to sit back and drink a hot chocolate or an apple cider and reflect on all the work and learning that was involved I realize it's worth it. Right? 

One of the podcasts I listen to is called "Out of the Ordinary" by Lisa-Jo Baker and Christie Purifoy. So much of what they speak about reaches my soul and makes me stop and think. They were talking about the busyness of this season and how it's okay to give yourself a "Get out of ______ free card." I think I need to give myself a "Get out of themed holiday activities free card" and if you are feeling overwhelmed by the much-ness of life right now I will give you one, too. 




Although, my music lessons were not holiday-themed I tried to do a bit in my Grade 6 class but many of my plans and photocopying were pushed aside as our winter concert, "December 'Round the World" took precedent. I turned to Teachers Pay Teachers, as one does, and found this great resource by Upper Elementary Adventures - The 12 Days of the Holidays Activities. I combined this with my 12 Days of Kindness challenge and we spread some holiday cheer in our class.

Of course I did not take any pictures as I was in survival mode but these are some of the activities that we did from the resource in the week leading up to the Winter Break:
Day 1: Dear Santa Mad Libs
Day 2: Decorate an Ugly Christmas Sweater (I had the Grade 3/4 class next to us vote for the winners using the ballot below)

Day 3: Nothing - Concert Craziness
Day 4: Also nothing - more Concert Craziness
Day 5: Read Pig the Elf by the fireplace on the SmartBoard; Holiday Snowball Fight; Christmas Bingo - Yes, I tried to overcompensate on this day. We also had a holiday party and I forced them to watch Muppet's Christmas Carol

Do what you can to make this season memorable for your students but remember to give yourself some grace, too!

from-math-to-music

Comments

Popular Posts