Pumpkin, Pumpkin

It's Halloween tomorrow and I've put the finishing touches on the kids' costumes. K wanted to be a unicorn queen and C at one point said she wanted to be a pumpkin. She has changed her mind multiple times (as preschoolers do) but she will be a pumpkin. N is going as a chicken. 

I'm happy to report that all three costumes cost less than $20. N's using K's old costume so that was $0. I reused a unicorn headband from K's birthday party and glammed it up. My mom helped me add a mane and tail using tulle and ribbon. I made a crown from adhesive glitter foam and added sparkly pom poms, which I already had in my craft drawer. I bought a pink tutu from the dollar store and she'll wear a unicorn shirt and white leggings to complete the look. 

C has a jack-o-lantern shirt and I bought an orange tutu. We made her headband using green tulle we layered, cut in a circle and sewed down the middle. We found some thick green wire in my mom's basement and wound it around a dowel for the vines. I rolled up a piece of felt and glued it on top of the wire which I adhered to the tulle. 

In the spirit of all things pumpkin I've posted a pumpkin freebie on my TPT store. Here are two easy games to play with the song "Pumpkin, Pumpkin."


 Pumpkin, Pumpkin Freebie

GAME 1
1. Teach the song by rote
2. Have students form a circle
3. Choose one student to be in the middle
4. Have the students who are in the circle face away from the child in the middle
5. The students will walk around the circle as they sing “Pumpkin, Pumpkin”
6. On the words “just like that” the children will stomp twice, clap once with the words and turn around to face the child in the middle
7. The children in the circle will then make their scariest face
8. The child in the middle picks a student with the scariest face to be in the middle next
9. Repeat the game

GAME 2
1. Print off the 5 pumpkins included in the resource, glue them onto orange cardstock or            construction paper and cut out
2. Teach the song by rote
3. Have students form a circle and sit down
4. Choose one student to be in the middle
5. Give the pumpkins to 5 different students. As students sing the song they pass the 
    pumpkins around the circle
6. After the words “just like that”  the children who have the pumpkins will hold them up but 
    with the blank side facing the person in the middle
7. The child in the middle will guess who has the jack-o-lantern pumpkin
8. The child with the jack-o-lantern will be in the middle next
9. Repeat the game

Check out this post for another Halloween idea. 

from-math-to-music


Comments

Popular Posts