2/4 Tuesday - Grade 5 & 6 Rhythm Compositions

How is it possible that October seems busier than September? I've missed the last two 2/4 Tuesdays but I was determined not miss three in a row. Remember to check out Stay Tuned for more great lesson ideas from other Music Teachers!





1. Grade 5/6 Rhythm Composition - Culminating Activity

Here's the info about my culminating rhythm activity as mentioned in this post

We started off by going over the Success Criteria:




The students then worked independently to compose a 16-beat rhythm pattern. They used this organizer to help them plan the composition. On the back of the Beat Chart I included a reflection question for the students to answer: How will what you learned from completing this assignment help you when you begin to the play the recorder/ukulele?
16-beat-composition-graphic-organizer


Once, the pattern was composed they practised clapping and saying their patterns and then were able to select a rhythm instrument of their choice to perform their composition on. Click here to access my rubric. Since I am cheap and don't like wasting paper I set it up so that I can print off two rubrics on one 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper and then cut it in half. 


16-beat-rhythm-composition-rubric


2. Using Rhythm Dice Games during Presentations


It is always a challenge to find something for the rest of the class to do while others are presenting. Since this was their first time playing in front of an audience I wanted the audience to be made up of just me. 

A few years I ago I ordered this set of Rhythm Dice Games from Musicplay but had never used them. What was wrong with me? This set comes with over 10 different games and 25 dice with different rhythms on them. I set up the games into 7 different baskets, put the cards in page protectors, and used dry erase markers so that I didn't have to waste paper. I split the students up into groups and pretty much told them that they had to read the instructions and figure the game out themselves. They were not allowed to bug me when I was listening to the compositions! I was surprised by how well they managed on their own. 

I used the games with 6 different classes and it took two periods to hear all the compositions. Classroom management issues were fairly low and the kids had a blast! Scales and Slides (a version of Snakes & Ladders) was the favourite. What I really liked about this was that I had time to provide written feedback on their rubrics right away instead of going home and having to try to remember what they did well and what the next step should be. 


from-math-to-music

Comments

  1. Thanks for linking up! I am going to have to get that dice game pack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Do you have the heartbeat sheet in a PDF format? Thanks Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan. Sorry for the delay but I have uploaded the graphic organizer and reflection as a pdf to my Teachers Pay Teachers site: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/16-Beat-Composition-Graphic-Organizer-2434203

    ReplyDelete
  4. اقل الاسعار و افضل الخصومات و اقوى العروض يقدمها متجر نون الذي يحتوي على جميع المستلزمات المنزلية و الملابس و العطور العالمية الاصلية يمكنك الحصول على كود خصم نون 200 ريال و التمتع بالخصومات و الاسعار الرائعة و اذا كنت تحب اقتناء اكسسوارات السيارات بجميع انواعها احصل على كود خصم نون فيصل السيف الذي يوفر لك خصم عليها

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts