Super Excited Yet Somewhat Terrified

Today was a good day. I am feeling pretty excited about this school year as there are some big changes in our school. A local K-6 school has amalgamated with us. That means we're going to have almost 3 classes for each grade level and our staff size has doubled. For me, that means I get to teach Music all day and I get more band and rhythm instruments! I'm sure there will be some rocky moments ahead as students and staff members adjust to this major change but I'm looking forward to it. 

What I'm not looking forward to is this:




This is the sight that greeted me in the gym. Instruments were lying everywhere and mixed in with yucky gym equipment! This pile terrifies me. Where will I put another bass drum? How exhausted will I be after carrying these instruments up two flights of stairs? Yikes!

Thankfully the actual Music Room is sparkling! Our caretakers did a great job and I was able to spend today rearranging my room. Actually, I spent a lot of time walking around trying to visualize how I am going to set things up. The pictures below show what my room looked like when I first came in. Once I get more accomplished I will post more pictures. 



My office - I rearranged some things today to give me better access to Music resources and removed some non-music resources. 

View of my room when standing by the window - I removed all the white labels from the bank of shelves.
View of my room when standing by the sink - I was given a new shelf for my rhythm instruments that actually allowed me to create more of a teaching space by the SmartBoard. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will get a carpet.

So what's on my agenda for the next couple days? Good question! I'm pretty sure I will be adding to this list daily 

  • Create labels for shelves
  • Design a new daybook that is better suited to teaching the same lesson to multiple classes
  • Come up with a new way to recognize students who conquer a GPS level
  • Adapt Grade 7 & 8 GPS lessons to fit with where my students were at the end of last year
That's a good enough list for now! Is it just me or did this summer fly by?

from-math-to-music

Comments

Popular Posts