Mallet Madness Begins

Today I did something I have been really nervous to do ... I used Orff instruments. I know it doesn't seem like it should be a big deal but I've been really intimidated by them.

Mallet MadnessI ordered the "Mallet Madness" resource by Artie Almeida from Themes & Variations and took a quick look through it last week. It just seemed really fun and I decided to give it a try with my Grade 4 class. This class is a tough class. I would take the Grade 8s over them some days but I feel like I haven't been trusting them enough lately and wanted to get over that feeling. Almeida's book gave me some confidence because the first lesson in it is all about routines (I do love routines) and teaching the students how to identify the instruments, correct posture and tone production. My favourite part, however, is the chant he uses to have students switch instruments:

"1 - 2 - 3 - 4, mallets down get off the floor, 5 - 6 - 7 -8, hurry don't be late! (strike)" (and they strike the instrument on that next beat but only if they are seated and ready to go).


We spent a fair chunk of the period today just rotating from instrument to instrument. The kids really ate it up and were very well behaved. I'm looking forward to our next "Mallet Madness" class! Now, if only I didn't have to transform my room every period from band to recorder to Orff classroom. I am getting a workout!



from-math-to-music

Comments

Popular Posts